Sunday, January 18, 2009

A good weekend in Germany



Back in Aarhus after a good weekend in Germany.

We left for Hamburg Saturday morning, as one of my brothers, Esben, had to sign-in for the qualification draw of the ITF junior tournament there.

After signing in, and fixing some details at the hotel, where we were supposed to stay from Saturday till Sunday, we headed to a town called Bad Schwartau, close to Lübeck, where we Saturday´s team match was held.

We started at 3pm, and Esben and our 4th single Christoph were up first.

Esben won easily 6-0, 6-0 against a player who could actually play pretty well, but Esben was just too good.
Christoph also won in 2 sets, I think it was 6-2, 6-3, so no real problems there.

In the second round of matches me and our 1. single Mathias were up. Mathias won easily as well, and so did I - 6-0, 6-0 - so today the team we played against were not that good.

We won our doubles easy as well, and won the match 6-0 - so a good day.

After dinner we went straight back to the hotel in Hamburg, where we just relaxed and watched some TV, before we went to bed.

This morning my brothers and my dad went up at 6.40 to go to the club where the ITF´s is played to practice for half an hour. Neither Esben or Søren were playing for Suchsdorfer today. Esben played 1st round of the qualies, and won in 2 sets, and Søren has to rest, because of injuries, before he´s entering the main draw on Tuesday.

When they came back we had breakfast, and me and my dad took off to Kiel, as we played at home today.

The team we met is named Eikendorfer. It was our second team, and theirs too, but both of our teams had 1st team players included, so I was up against one of their 1st team players.
We started well, and won the two first singles, both in two sets. Afterwards I was up and unfortunately lost 5-7, 5-7. I kind of feel that I should have won. At 4-4 in the first set I have a breakpoint after a close game. He doubefaults, and even though I made the return on the second serve, and it was a good one, he refused to let me have the point as he was sure it was in.

I couldn´t believe he wanted to discuss it and we discussed back and forth for 15 minutes. I tried to explain to him in English that there would be no reason for me to call it out if it wasn´t out as I easily made the return. I was in a good position to call it, and besides that I´m calling the points on my court - anyway it ended up with a replay. Don´t ask me why I gave in, but I did - and of course I lost the game. Extremely frustrating. I felt like it ruined the match for me. I know you are not supposed to get affected by situations like that, but I just couldn´t help it.

I started badly in the second set, and I still had that situation in the back of my mind. I went down 3-0, and then started to fight back. We ended up at 5-5 again, and then I had 2 chances to break him, but missed them, and then I got broken to 7-5.

Probably one of the most frustrating matches ever, and I felt like he didn´t deserve to win a match in that way. But well nothing to do about it.

Luckely Christoph won his single in 3 sets, which was really important, as we had 3-1 before the doubles.

I played with our 2nd single, Lasse, and we won 6-4, 6-4. We both played well and served extremely well. The other guys won the other double, and we won the match 5-1. So all in all a good weekend.

I got back home at 9 pm, and now I´m looking forward to watch the Aussie Open tonight, which is gonna be amaing.

I´m going back to Germany next weekend, where I´m playing on Sunday, together with Søren, while both Søren, Esben and a new player, Milos, is playing on Saturday in an important match.




2 comments:

  1. I am enjoying your blog, is this league like the German Bundesliga we always hear about, do you get paid by your club to play ? Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great, thanks a lot. Where are you from?
    Well yes, it is, kind off. We are some divisions lower, but else its the same.
    I do get paid, but nt that much, and the most covers travel expenses - but thats not important to me - I just enjoy getting the opportunity to play some extra matches against players I don´t usually play against

    ReplyDelete